Friday, August 10, 2007

I am taking an comedy improv class at the Upright Citizen’s Brigade…which is a theatre troop founded by veteran SNL cast members. Last night was my first night—it was three hours of sheer joy and laughing. Plus, doing things that were absolutely mortifying, such as singing all by myself with everyone watching….and we were not allowed to be goofy when we sang…we had to take it seriously…did I mention this was the very first exercise? Sheesh…welcome to improv…check your fear at the door.


So my teacher, Ari said some pretty profound things. He’s kinda deep for a funny man.

One was “improvement comes from demystifying failure.”

Word.


The other thing he talked about was not following our instincts 100% but only 50%. This is contrary to everything I have been taught. However, as he further explained, due to our own personal insecurity from being human, half of our instincts are negative. So he told us he wants us to avoid the instincts that are going to “drag you down and make you ordinary.”


Word.


email me! you know you wanna: heydreamergirl@yahoo.com